Monday, October 5, 2015

Writing about racism in New Zealand

Bringing the literature back to our own experience, here is some examples of the writing 9RTd completed after reading some articles and doing some personal research.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that, hate cannot drive out hate,only love can do that.”

I think racism is mostly about brown people getting picked on because of their colour. It can lead to suicidal thoughts and can cause the world in war. Not only brown people get picked on with racism, think about the white people. We sometimes pick on them which isn't good, people out there are thinking what us Islanders are struggling on.

We see racism in New Zealand when John Key tells us to move houses so the rich people can move in because we live near the city. I also see racism in nz when the whites are talking about us islanders.

Why people are racist is because they think brown people are selfish, they think we are judgemental, they think we don’t know any better in life. They see us in a different way but when they actually get to meet us they would know a whole different story.

We all should keep this world peaceful keep everyone safe from racism make them feel safe around white people and brown people.

-Ite Taufa


Racism

To me racism means not respecting someone else's culture , I think it is a bad to be racist because it is like bullying. Because you are putting down other people's race and and judging on what skin type they are.

Back in the old days they were really racist, the brown people weren't allowed on the white’s side, they had to be slaves for the white people. If you were half-cast polynesian you would still be a cast as a black person just cause you have polynesian in you. The only time you could be on the white side was when you were being slaves working in the shops for the white people .

People nowadays in this generation are the same just not as bad, judging your skin just like that. Why can’t we all get along, it’s a free world. I just would like everyone to get along no matter what race you are or skin color you are, because god made us all different for a reason, not an opinion on what we think of each other.

At school I think that people judge me because of my white skin plus going to an islander school is pretty hard when you're like the only white skin there. They must think I look down on them, but really I don’t ,we are all the same just with different color skin. It not bad at all.

MY OPINION

I think that people should give everyone a chance , because us white people now days couldn't help what happen back then. We couldn't control what our ancestors were doing. back in those days if I was alive I wouldn't even be able to help because I would have been on the blacks side cause I'm half-cast.

“Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.” -Muhammad Ali

What That Quote Means To Me -

1.You shouldn't hate anyone just because of their color .

2. It not just one race that is hating it is others too.

NO ONE IS BORN RACIST YOU EITHER LEARN IT OR STOP IT .

-Cheyanne Eagle


I think that racism should stop today. People are sick and tired of the bullies around the world calling other people black.

There are too many people who call others black for no reason. Many people such as teens, adults, elders, young adults and even little kids. It must be scary for the people who are called black because of the apartheid that happened in South Africa.

It is just like the Springbok tour that happened in 1981. The Springboks denied the tourism happening around South Africa. They denied the All Blacks tour around South Africa because it was under apartheid. The reason why the Springbok tour was cancelled, was because there were coloured people in the All Blacks.
In my opinion, I wish that racism didn't exist. It shouldn't exist because it is hurting other people. It is hurting other people inside of them, but on the outside, it will just look like they don't care what the bullies have to say.


-Langa Ravarua


I think that racism is something to do with skin color or something to do with their culture. Racism is disrespecting someone’s culture and comparing which is basically judging.

To me when I think of the word “racism" I picture a lot of things that happen, My favorite saying is, "It doesn't matter what color Jesus was the only thing that matters is what he did." Sometimes I say to myself, why or how can people be like this? We were all brought into this world to be ourselves and not to worry about other people's appearance and background.

We see it in NZ when the polynesians don’t get many things as the pakehas or how most white people get accepted to like university , works etc… but most of my people don’t. It can be argued that the NZ school system disproportionately favours pakeha & culture. This means that my people cannot make it through high school or graduate with a degree. But many white people can.

Racism has been existed for generations. I don’t get why there is such a thing that’s called “racism.” Why can’t we just all get along with people that is not the same color as us, Is it because we’re black and your white? But I have a feeling that racism won’t stop. I do hope it does stop because it puts my people down, and it won’t make them try again.

In NZ we need to look around and recognise that it’s not only them or their culture in this world. Before you judge you have to know everything about them or look at themselves first before judging others.

“No one is born hating another person because of the color of the skin, or his background, or his religion, People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.” - Nelson Mandela

To me I think that his quote means that to love one another and not to judge the front cover and you haven't even read the book. 

-Lose Manuha'apai

1 comment:

Samuel said...

This is such an interesting and important topic to address. It definitely evokes passionate thoughts and can be challenging to navigate through. It is a complex topic to unpack.

Thank you for this interesting read to meditate on this morning.

Sam