Friday, April 3, 2009

Year 10 Creative Writing about the Plague - Eulogies

During our study of the Plague in English class, we looked at different types of writing. We discussed eulogies- speeches to be used at funerals. The students wrote eulogies for imaginary friends or family members. Here are some samples of the work we did.

Chris...

We are gathered here today in sadness and in respect of the death of Viliami Vuna Stowers. To be honest, there is nothing in this world that could describe my dear brother Viliami. Viliami was a person who didn’t like going out but instead he liked staying home with my mum and dad.

In the books of Matthew chapter 7 verse 1 to 3 say’s “Judge not, that you be not judge. For with what judgement you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your eye.”

This verse was Viliami’s favourite bible verse. Viliami was a very bright delightful young man. One day he came up to me and said "If I die, would you care?” Taking those words in was very emotional.
Just a moment before the day he passed away, he said to me "Would you?” I started to tell him how much I would care if he died but I didn't have the chance to, he was gone.

The doctors discovered why he past away. They discovered that Viliami had a flu called the bubonic plague, also known as the black death.

The bubonic plague is an infection of the lymphatic system, usually resulting from the bite of an infected flea. The fleas are often found on rodents, such as rats, and seek out other prey when their rodent hosts die. Once established, bacteria rapidly spread to the lymph nodes and multiply. Yesinia pestis can resist phagocytosis and even reproduce inside phagocytes and kill them.

My last words to my brother is ”May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face and the rain fall softly on your fields. And until we meet again, may God hold you in the hollow of his hand.”

Rest in Peace...


Siua ...

Speech

I remember when me and Strance were little kids we use to play pranks on everyone but he used to love my mum. He honestly fell in love with her. It was funny because he fell in love with a old lady. Now that my best friend Strance is gone I don’t know what to do I miss you Strance but we will see each other soon enough.

BIBLE VERSE-JOHN 11:25,26
WHO EVER BELIEVES IN JESUS CHRIST SHALL NOT DIE BUT HAVE EVER LASTING LIFE

SONG – AMAZING GRACE

No comments: