Sunday, May 10, 2015

What is identity?



We're looking at poetry at the moment that deals with identity, what it means to be who we are. We'll be looking at Apirana Taylor, Karlo Mila and Glen Colquhoun.

This week we're making static images based on the poem Bred in South Auckland- here's what we've been doing in class so far.

Read the poem below.


Bred In South Auckland

I drive a car that is falling apart. 

There is a bog in the body. 
There is rust in the doors. 
Occasionally it does not have a warrant. 
Sometimes I sleep in large rooms full of people. 
I eat too much fried bread. 
I am late to meetings. 
I go to housie. 
My nose is flat. 
I say Raw-tore-loo-uh. 

Some people think I am a bloody Maori, 

I have been to university. 
I have a student loan. 
I photocopy my tax returns. 
Most mornings I read the newspaper. 
I make lists of things I have to do and like to cross them off. 
I cut apples into quarters before I eat them, 
Then I cut the pips out. 
I put my name on things. 
I listen to talkback radio. 
I use EFTPOS. 

Some people think I am a typical pakeha. 


Last week I drove into a red light, 
I did not slow down at a compulsory stop, 
I changed lanes on the motorway and did not use my indicator. 
When I was a boy I went to see Enter the Dragon, 
I took one lesson in kung fu. 
My parents made me do my homework. 
My brother gave me Chinese burns. 
I like beef and pork flavoured two minute noodles. 
I light incense when the house smells. 
Once I dug a garden. 

Some people think I am a blasted Asian. 

When I was a boy I learned to swear in Samoan. 
I went to school in Mangere. 
I played rugby in bare feet, 
Sometimes I shop at the Otara markets. 
My family come from overseas. 
I used to work in a factory. 
Once I helped cook an umu. 
When it is summer I wear a lavalava. 
I drink pineapple juice. 
I like to eat corned beef. 

Some people think I must be a flaming coconut. 

I think I am the luckiest mongrel I know. 

No comments: