Monday, May 18, 2015

9 RTd Responses to Sad Joke on the Marae by Apirana Taylor

Kapa Haka group at Te Poho O Tamaki



This poem is about a guy that entry a marae and said who he is and still is welcome after everything he has done. A marae is where everyone is welcome and pretty much anything can happen there. The poet writes “ jail is my home” this made me think that he wasn't taught properly and no one should blame him cause its not his fault.

Apirana Taylor writes “in the only maori I know” this made me feel that we didn't know his family and much people mostly it made me feel sorry for him because we wasn't accepted. The end of the poem was sad and happy. Happy because they understood him and still welcome him in because they didn't blame him for the result of his life, and sad because he is Maori and all he know in this language was Tihei Mauriora.

-Latisha Puti


This poem is about a sad joke about a marae. A marae is a courtyard of a Maori meeting house,especially as a social ceremonial forum.The poet writes that the tekoteko he “ripped his tongue from his mouth and threw it on his feet”. This made me think that going to a marae is a bit scary and challenging because there a chiefs and warriors around you and it feels like there’s a war happening.

Apirana Taylor wrote this because I think he had the same feeling when he entered the marae.This made me feel that going to a marae is a special thing and we shall respect that.

-Ite Taufa


This poem is by Apirana Taylor about giving a speech at a Marae. A Marae is a welcoming place where meetings and funerals are held. The poet writes “ He ripped his tongue from his mouth and threw it at my feet”, this made me think that this person is very aggressive and can be a threat. Apirana Taylor writes “ My name is Tu the freezing worker” this made me feel that this male is a hard working citizen.

-Edward Baah


A marae is a family house, where meetings are made or cultural maori events happen there and not only that, marae also holds funerals of those they have lost. The poet writes “grim death and wooden ghosts carved on the meeting house wall” this made me feel that my ancestors are around and there ancestors are carved onto the marae which makes it very special. Apirana Taylor writes “Tihei Mauriora I cried, they understood, the tekoteko and the ghosts” This made me feel that the sins that Tu committed thy still forgave him and welcomed him into the marae, and that Tu is going to repent for his bad sins.

-Jennyfer Faamita


This poem is about: a sad joke at the Marae. A marae is the courtyard of a Maori meeting house, especially as a social or ceremonial gathering place. The poet writes about jail is home. This made me think that the person in the poem always get in trouble. Apirana Taylor writes about a Sad Joke at the Marae.This made me feel that it is a sad poem because it says a Sad Joke at the marae.

-Langa Ravarua


This poem is about Maori things. A marae is a gathering place for visitors, family and friends. The poet writes,“I saw them” this made me think that he is crazy and needs to get put in a mental facility. Apirana Taylor writes “He ripped his tongue from his mouth and threw it at my feet” this made me kinda feel yucky cause if you picture that in your mind It feels gross. The end of the poem was pretty funny because he’s a plastic Maori.

-Henry Neemia

This poem is by Aprirana Taylor about being welcomed on the marae but the person in the poem does not know a lot about speaking in Maori and does not have detailed knowledge and experience. A marae is a house where people meet, have funerals, and other significant events.

The poet writes “My fist is my taiaha” This made me think that culture is more important than fighting and that culture and and family is one thing that can not be replaced. Apirana Taylor writes “The pub is my marae” This made me feel that my actions now can affect my future and that places like the pub will not be there when you're in trouble also that ancestors and sacred places are more significant than unnecessary things.

"He mahi te ata noho, e kii ana te wheke"

It is the octopus who says sitting is working

This relates to the poem because at the end of the poem he says “For that's all I knew” If he was taught and disciplined situations like that would be not as sad as it was and would of have known how to speak in his native language.

-Dion Tuitakau

1 comment:

Tess O'Connor said...

Ngati DB is my tribe seems so familiar to me, a time when DB was popular and surrounded by urban Maori on a Marae with some unusual charactors, even a kind of urban carving. Speaks of Tu finding himself a place in a world full of colonisation. The angry Teko Teko is almost from the anger of the colonial experience and stiffling of Maori language and culture affecting Maori.
The Marae is a refuge and accepting, understanding of the great loss. Ngati DB was humorous, yet not, in the 70s Petone meatworks was thriving with Maori.While some built Marae in urban places in Wellington suburbs to try to balance and give a home to Maori. Some came from jails and some became ill. I think this poem captures the feeling of that time, sadness, anger, rage, and even hope, hope of there being a place for Maori culture to flourish. If you look deeply and think, his job is freezing worker, at that time Maori were saying that they did not see themselves in white collar jobs but on roadsides and labour. Another contention was easier conviction of Maori therefore more likely to be jailed. In a sense being on the Marae is a safe place, accepted no matter how much has been lost, now is his time to build, notice the fight for Te Reo Maori and revitalise Maori culture had surfaced at that time too. Arohanui Api, Tapu Te Ranga